Thursday 7 April 2011

Question 3


What have you learnt from your audience feedback?


In general, audience is crucial when producing any product. They enable companies to know what product is needed and what it should contain. All products are designed around a specific audience.

With this in mind, I then started to make my media product. Throughout the process of making my Short film, poster and review, audience played a very important part. To start with, I carried out a questionnaire to see what sort of people watched short films in general. I found that a global audience liked to watch short films.

Carrying out 3rd party testing is crucial as it let me known how effective my products actually were. By asking a variety of people, meant that I received unbiased and fair opinions which would help to improve my products.


Due to the fact that I my audience was that of the film production company “Whitestone Motion picture”, it meant that it was global and therefore was quite general. Throughout all of the stages of planning, research, creating and evaluation my products, I have tried to incorporate a global audience. 

When creating designs for my short film and poster, I got audience feedback. This was important as, in particular with the poster, the audience asked would be the people who the poster is aimed at so it therefore needs to be most effective and attractive towards them. This was the reason why, when choosing which ideas to use, the views put forth by audience feedback had a very high impact and input on the final decision.  
 
I posted by short film onto global web 2.0 sites such as YouTube and Facebook.  These then allowed anybody to view and also comment on my short film. 

              

Upon doing this I gathered a variety of results. From posting it on YouTube, it got a positive feedback, it gave me the quantitative data of being viewed 75 times and had been given two ‘likes’. 




In addition to this, the qualitative data on feedback and comments on Facebook which I received for the short film was mainly positive. Upon the comments which my short film received, they were mainly positive although like most feedback there were adjustments suggested. The most common was the issue of it being too long. As my short film was just under 8 minutes long, this is a realistic factor, and in retrospect, I could cut down some of the montage scenes between the two characters in the protagonist’s own world. If I were to have presented the short film earlier for commenting by audiences, I would have had the chance to alter it. However, this is one point which I have learnt through audience feedback and would put into action if I had the opportunity to do it again.




One aspect which the audiences on both YouTube and Facebook really liked and positively commented on was the use of the stop motion picture. This was good as the concept of the stop motion picture and the artistic symbolism which it created was a really important aspect of my short film. Having this noticed by audiences was pleasing. 

Through these results which I have gathered first hand, It  is evident that the use of audience feedback is very important within creating media products.  Through the use of both quantitative and qualitative data I have managed to gather a wide set of results on my media products. It has been emphasised that the information gathered through audience feedback can be used constructively to enhance and improve the product, and thus optimise the products suitability to the intended audience and make it more successful.


No comments:

Post a Comment