Tuesday 29 March 2011

Distribution


My short film will be primarily placed and be available on the internet. This would be beneficial as the internet has become a vital part in today’s society. With the proliferation of the internet and the forms of media which have now incorporate and made their content available within the World Wide Web, the internet has become a global phenomenon. It has allowed people to globally interact with one another, similarly with the recent advancement and emphasis on the use of web 2.0 sites, such as YouTube and Facebook.
It was through YouTube which I originally discovered the boutique film company “Whitestone Motion Pictures”. Upon carrying out research on short films and looking for examples on YouTube, I came across their film “That’s Magic”. Then through their YouTube account, I viewed their other short film, furthermore, I was only then that I went onto their official website. Through my own experience, it shows how powerful and effective the internet is, in particular 2.0 interactive websites. 

My film will primarily be released on the official website of “Whitestone Motion Pictures” where they display all of their short films and other recording which they have made.

The company also has their own YouTube account:
Whitestone84             http://www.youtube.com/user/whitestone84?blend=2&ob=1

This similarly contains all of the films which they have produced, but has the addition of behind the scenes videos into the planning and production of their films.

 The reason that these particular ‘behind the scenes’ clips are only based on their YouTube account, could be a result of this 2.0 website being less formal. The main focus behind YouTube (and other 2.0 websites) is that anybody can upload and comment of videos. This could then mean that audiences and viewers will be able to see what goes behind making a short film. This is compared to their official website which is much more formal and designed for professional reasons.
By making my short film available on YouTube in particular, means that my short film can be viewed by a vast audience, not only my intended target audience. From my own experience, this has been emphasised and established. By uploading my short film onto YouTube means that it can increase in popularity and as a result gain a larger viewing audience.
Additionally by having my short film produced and associated with the established production and film company, “Whitestone motion pictures”, means that it can almost be a form of product placement and media cooperation. When audience’s watch either my film or any of Whitestone motion pictures, they are likely to come across and view the other. As a result, this would enhance the distribution and marketing of my short film.


Whitestone Motion Pictures, also have created an account on Vimeo and show their films there also. Vimeo is a website designed to allow people to upload their videos and share them globally.


http://vimeo.com/wsprotege

Through other web 2.0 sites, they are able to promote their films, including; 

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/whitestonemp
Twitter: http://twitter.com/whitestonemp


Both these common and globally used websites can be used as a form of marketing for the film company and can be used to entice new audiences by commenting on their short films. 


All these 'Whitestone Motion Picture' websites all have web links from their main websites.







To enhance my film and its distribution further, I could also place my film into competitions for short films. Such competitions as;
Normally, the films which are entered into the competitions are available on the websites. This could thus gain my film creditability and also enable it to be viewed by a larger and global audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment