Tuesday 29 March 2011

Research on Short Films


Research on Short Films

Once I had decided on creating a short film, I decided to carry out research on what short films are and how they are constructed.
When completing this research, I came across a website produced by the BBC on making short films. 

The link to this website is;

It touched upon all the features and concepts I would have to take into consideration when I make my own short film.  In particular; the importance of short films in the film industry.
From this I have gathered, that there are many reasons for creating short films, including; for experience, as a showreel, testing ideas, amongst many others.
This section of my research has enhanced my awareness of the importance of the audience and the distribution of my short film. It has additionally emphasised the effect that these have on how I set up and the purpose of my short film.
I then progressed on this and researched what makes a good short film. On one page of the BCC website, it talked about what makes an effective short film, it went; 

“There are no hard and fast rules as to what makes a good short; as with features, different audiences love different films and an award-winner in one viewer's eyes will be a dull cliché in another's.”

(link to website at end)

This quote is beneficial and shows that there will always be an audience for any short film. This thus emphasises the importance of the audience when producing a short film.
It did mention important factors which help to make an effective sort film. These included;
  • An exciting and original idea
  • A strong script
  • Make it short
  • Strong beginning
  • Avoid repetition and punch line twists.
  • Exciting new techniques and styles
These are then all points which I will have to take into consideration when I am making my film.
However, it also included points which were not applicable to my short films, these included;
  • Good acting
  • High Production Values

It stated that friends should not be cast within short films, unless they are actual actors. However this would not be possible as my short film is only an independent, and no budget, not to the high and professional standards which this website is referring to. It additionally mentioned that short films can be let down by being made by one single person, rather than a contribution of many people in different aspects of the film. These include, a Gaffer (lighting) and Director of Photography, to name but a few. Nevertheless, the fact that this is my individual coursework, I would not be able to incorporate this advice into the production of my short film.

With these points in mind, I then carried research out on the importance of scripts.
When doing this I discovered a website is primarily based for the production and effectiveness of scripts. 

Industrial scripts       http://industrialscripts.co.uk/


The advice given was to first construct an initial idea for the plot of the film and then adjust it to make it into a script. It then advised to get the script viewed by people involved within the film industry. However, I will instead get it viewed by my teacher and peers how can then advice me on possible changes which can be made to make it more effective.

Throughout this research carried out, I have discovered that there are some key aspects and issues which I will need to take into consideration when I make my own short film. Similarly, the research which I found was primarily for professional purposes, and so therefore some the points mentioned might not be applicable to might film. Overall, by incorporating all these points into my short film will make it as effective as possible.


Below are some links to websites which were used and found helpful into my research on short films. 
Why make a short film.

What makes a good short film.

Script website

Writing a Script

Music Rights

No comments:

Post a Comment